Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Musings In The Cold and Without Electricity.....

Well sort of! Smartest move I made a year or so ago was a whole house generator. So it hums along as the folks from NYSEG gear up and get out (in the cold), on the road to find out what's going on. So I'm able to sit here and watch the Iowa Caucus results, post on my blog and think about all of the other things that are out there going on.

At some point I will be writing about the latest NY Times article and the Inspector General's report on Valley Ridge, a facility for people with developmental disabilities in New York State. But right now other thoughts.....

My good friend Joe recommended a book and I was already planning on a couple. Well today got them all and I'm happy and don't know where to start. Joe's recommendation was William Kennedy's Chango's Beads and Two-Tone Shoes - Albany, Cuba and the 60's. Wow! Next Hemingway's Boat - I hear it's a great book talking about his boat, the one place he felt some peace, of sorts. And finally - Jack Kennedy, Elusive Hero by Chris Matthews. Anyway, an exciting array of books and reading that I'm looking forward to.

Last Thursday I went to a celebration for Don Colquhoun who retired recently after 17 years as director of The Arc of Orleans. A nice event. Don's career made a couple of sharp turns along the way to get him to The Arc and it seems to have done him and lots of other people good. He'll obviously be missed and everyone wishes him the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gadfly welcomes comments and discussion. Please feel free. Comments will be pre-screened for relevance, etc. and may or may not be posted.