Monday, June 4, 2012

Renovations, Visits and Gardening

All of the above have kept me away from my blogging activities recently but the world and news goes on. Hard to keep up with it all. Here's a rundown of sorts.

In terms of renovations, my house has needed new windows for quite some time - air leaks, hard to open and close, broken screens - all of the things people with homes know about. In addition, some of the windows were very small and needed resizing just to let more natural light in the house. As with many home projects, this one was identified a number of years ago as needing to be done but finding and selecting contractors isn't an easy task. It did get done though and the work started a week ago with all of the normal, not so normal disruptions that come with renovations. So that's taking place as we speak. Dust, furniture, wall hangings, everything all over the place and moving and re-moving as the project moves forward. So far, so good, just some inconvenience .

My oldest son also came for a planned visit to help me with some plumbing and gutter cleaning last week. Great to see him and have his help to get those things done. Spent a little time together on the lake. The time was too short but we'll get together again soon.

And then there's the garden. Lettuce, spinach and swiss chard all needing to be harvested and peas coming in this week. I've also got some chinese cabbage and bok choy not far behind. I took my chances with the early spring and now reaping the rewards but lot's of work to keep up.

So that's what I've been up to. Also trying to keep up with the news, current events and reading. Feeling a little stretched here and there but keeping up as best I can and enjoying it.

A fellow asked me the other day how I was doing with retirement - getting use to it? I replied that I was doing fine and enjoying it. He glumly reported that he wasn't use to it yet. I asked how long he'd been retired and he said eight years. I didn't go much further with the conversation but it made me wonder about his life before and after retirement, interests, etc. I'd guess it's what you make it, interests and connections with other people and activities. More to think about but in the meantime the garden calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gadfly welcomes comments and discussion. Please feel free. Comments will be pre-screened for relevance, etc. and may or may not be posted.