Sunday, March 1, 2020

Vulnerable and Facing The Coronavirus

All of the current statements coming from government and health care leaders are telling people to calm down relative to the coronavirus. The statements go something like, "if you're fairly healthy, your risk is very low and, even if you do get it, your symptoms will probably be like getting the flu and you'll easily recover". Exceptions? "Well unless you're elderly and have an underlying condition".

I am writing this from the perspective of a 75 year old man with COPD, Emphysema and diagnosed within the past 6 months with Pulmonary Fibrosis, currently using oxygen 24/7. Am I worried? I'd say more like scared out of my wits and my level of confidence in government right now is pretty low. And yes, I'm washing my hands.

Last July I was hospitalized with pneumonia which led to followup, various tests and my current diagnosis of Pulmonary Fibrosis. Living with that reality in itself along with the oxygen therapy, tank management. and restrictions on physical activity have brought mental and physical challenges. I've coped though with a lot of support from my spouse, family and friends. I've slowly gotten somewhat use to my disability, realizing that I am limited and will be from this point on. There is frustration and sometimes a sense of uselessness as household chores and maintenance arise. But, it is what it is and there are things that I can do, including writing and assisting some other people with a few things I know about which include technology, politics and organizing.

That's the backdrop from which I write this piece. Like so many others, I really do need to assess my daily interactions with people as the coronavirus spreads. I'm certainly not happy about having to do that or even to think about it. I currently participate in a pulmonary rehab program twice a week. It's basically cardio exercise on various pieces of equipment. Monitored oxygen is available along with classroom sessions on pulmonary disease management. Of course it's on the grounds of a hospital and in a setting where people are coming and going for their basic health care needs. It has been very helpful for a lot of reasons but now I probably need to look at how feasible it may be to continue participating as the coronavirus evolves. I have some time to make that decision but I'm realistic in knowing the time may come. Of course there are other interactions with people that will have to be assessed. We can call it self quarantine or distancing but it is an isolation from social interactions.

All of this is the dilemma faced by certain populations during a potential crisis like this. Government and health officials attempt to calm people but this is a reminder that people like me, who will be high risk patients if we get coronavirus can hear you when you reassure everyone that we're the only ones who might die. Not very reassuring to those of us with serious underlying conditions.




1 comment:

  1. Stay well, Jim. Thinking of you, and praying for you. We wondered if the current President would have a crisis to deal with. Well, we got it. So far he is a doofus, MAGA hat and all. Lord help us.

    ReplyDelete

The Gadfly welcomes comments and discussion. Please feel free. Comments will be pre-screened for relevance, etc. and may or may not be posted.