Sunday, February 19, 2017

A Free Press

As a blogger, writer, sometimes journalist and opinion writer, I have to speak out on the attacks we have recently seen on the main stream media and the media in general. I certainly don't like everything I see or hear that is written, recorded, filmed or photographed. Some of it is stupid, silly gross, disgusting. Some of it however is genius, beautiful and mesmerizing and I would be the loser without my ability to see, touch or celebrate it in some way. My children would lose. My granddaughter would lose. I of course have to make choices about what I see, what I trust and how I verify reality from fantasy. That's my responsibility.

Now to the point. Recently, the leader of the United States of America, Donald Trump said bluntly that the media is the enemy of the people. He is wrong. Leaders who want to control what people read, here or see are the enemies of the people, plain and simple. His statement is un-American in every sense of the word. Excuses are now being made about what he really meant and who he was really talking about but it won't wash. His real effort is to undermine people's trust in the media and he has found some fertile ground.

I believe at this point that it's up to every journalist, writer, artist or producer to speak up as strongly as possible for a free and open press. That is what this Gadfly is doing and what I will continue to do. Again, my responsibility.

2 comments:

  1. You are incorrect by attributing "Donald Trump said bluntly that the media is the enemy of the people" to the president. He actual words were that the "Fake media" is the enemy of the people. To this I thing you would agree. You have to take care when repeating things heard as so many "journalist" are to lazy to source their own work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he referenced "fake media" followed by listing The NYTimes, CNN, NBC and later ABC & CBS. Although he may reference these outlets as fake news, they are the media that many view as the mainstream media. I appreciate your comment on sourcing stories and opinion writing.

      https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017/02/18/us/18trumptweet-web/18trumptweet-web-jumbo-v3.png

      Delete

The Gadfly welcomes comments and discussion. Please feel free. Comments will be pre-screened for relevance, etc. and may or may not be posted.