Sunday, February 26, 2017

Hate Remembered - 1965 Selma Al

Every year at about this time I reflect back on a short period that I spent in Selma, Al in 1965, as a foot soldier demonstrating and trying to cross a famous bridge to march to Montgomery, Al. Next weekend, marks 52 years since that march and those demonstrations that were held for the most basic of American rights, the right to vote.

But this year is different. Other times I have been able to reflect on how far we've come and how proud I was to be a part of the movement for social change and civil rights. This year I remember and reflect on the hate that I saw in Selma. It was real and it was deep. It was reflected in white faces, young and old. White haters who spat, cursed, pushed, shoved and hit demonstrators. There were people killed in Selma and Montgomery and small towns in between. I could taste and feel the hate.

I feel sad and depressed this year because the hate has been allowed to appear again, to raise its head with the blessing of an elected leader and his spokespeople and team. There may be denials. There may be tamp downs. But the reality is that hatred has been given a very big and very bright green light. It has become acceptable to spew hate, to divide and to demean.

I know there are good and decent people but there are also the sons and daughters of those haters who I saw in Selma 52 years ago. It was wrong then and it's wrong now. I was naive. I thought it was over. But now I know - it's a constant battle this fight against hate. Give it a breath of air and it comes back. Give it a leader who allows it to come back and it will.

For those who may not have ever experienced this kind of hate, get ready. It is ugly and dangerous and it will pit people against each other. I'm tired, I'm getting old but I know this. I, we, have to stand up another time. We have to speak up and speak out against this hate and division. Lets do it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gadfly welcomes comments and discussion. Please feel free. Comments will be pre-screened for relevance, etc. and may or may not be posted.