Tuesday, August 26, 2014

A Journey - Surviving Cancer

A lot has happened since I had colon surgery about 10 and 1/2 weeks ago. Initial time was spent recovering in the hospital, then at home. Diet challenges and changes have also been part of the recovery. Currently I'm eating pretty normally and enjoying it. I wrote earlier about my visit to an Oncologist who let me know that at least on paper, everything looks fine - nice operation, bad parts removed, good reports, etc. So a determination was made that there was no need for any further treatment at this time.

The other part of recovery is feeling like you can return to normal activities. It's part of feeling better. Along the way I think there's a tendency to overdo it. Sometimes that's ok, as long as your body talks back and tells you to slow down. I've always been pretty active (my opinion) and so I clearly wanted to get back to yard work, house projects, etc. My surgeon warned me that because of my previous abdominal surgeries I had a pretty high chance of a hernia or hernias. With all of that in mind, I held off on a lot of physical activity. More on that later.

The other part of recovery from major surgery is a tiredness and fatique. I've certainly experienced that and rest has been an important part of the process.

Diagnosis, surgery and recovery also present a lot of mental challenges, at least for me. Some of it has to do with the frustration of not doing what you think you should be doing or what you enjoy doing. There's also a lot of second guessing that takes place - am I too tired, should I be doing more, am I really ok, are doctors being honest with me? That by the way is a big one. I've wondered sometimes if there's a great conspiracy going on where everyone tells me I'm fine because they just don't want to give me the really bad news. People say "isn't it great, now you can take some time to read books, fish, start a new hobby". That sounds wonderful but I've found that it's not that easy. I'm not totally sure why that's the case. Some of it may be physical discomfort or a concentration issue along with the natural fatigue. I did read a few good mysteries. I also bought a copy of the US Constitution and Declaration of Independance for review and study. I find myself more interested in history. I upgraded my digital camera and I'm looking for some ways to get better at photography. I've also found more time for music of all kinds.

Now I'm in a new phase of healing I think. I've started to do more physically, but I've also recognized that I need help. I've found a fellow who can help with some of the heavier chores around the house and property. That has been very useful. I've started riding the lawn mower (I had hired that out for about 8 weeks). I believe I pulled an abdominal muscle at some point last week and I'm hoping I didn't instead cause a hernia. Anyway the pain I'm experiencing from that event has me thinking about other pains, maladies and discomfort. I don't think I'm that different from others who face Cancer and the journey we take with it. Every bump, lump, skin discoloration and pain becomes a significant concern. There is an uneasiness and sometimes fear. The mind is always busy connecting thoughts, knowledge and information. Sometimes, what would seem like the simplest conversation to some, connects you back to the reality of your situation and expierience with Cancer.

The reality is though that it is a journey, like most everything else we deal with in life. It's certainly good to have friends and support along the way. I have both and I'm grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gadfly welcomes comments and discussion. Please feel free. Comments will be pre-screened for relevance, etc. and may or may not be posted.