Saturday, May 13, 2017

Where Oh Where Has The Gadfly Been?

Someone asked me the other day if the Gadfly was on a Sabbatical. Someone else inquired about the Gadfly's health. So I figure I owe my loyal readers and explanation of sorts. I'd like to say I'm half way through the great American novel but alas, no luck there. A Sabbatical probably isn't a bad description. Like many others, I'm a victim of Trump fatigue, Trump disgust, Trump shock, etc. I spend a good part of my day shaking my head, talking to myself and wondering how we got to where we are. Some days, after another stupid or shocking development, I find myself in a fetal position with a blanket over my head, just wanting the bad dream to end.

So that's part of it. There's also a frustration that there's so much to write about that I just can't keep up any more. The topics come and go. They repeat themselves and sadly, some tend to be pretty depressing. So, there's no lack of material. It's more a matter of time and thought and weariness.

In addition, I find myself mesmerized by the performance art of our current president, his administration, the controversies and the media coverage. Its a Ying and Yang type thing. I want to pull away but can't. Then eventually I get totally sick of both the topic and the non stop analysis and talk.

But life does go on. Friends and family are faced with challenges, illness and celebrations. My little acre of paradise on Seneca Lake requires upkeep and maintenance. My ukulele, my guitar and various percussion instruments stare at me waiting to be plucked or tapped to some rhythm in my head. My dog, Buddy, is facing some serious health challenges that have me going to the vet for counseling more then anything else. Buddy's got a paralysis of his larynx that only happens sporadically for now, but as I've been told it will get worse over time. If he gets overly excited, easy for a Brittany, he gets himself into a state where he can't breathe and gasps for air through a smaller passageway. Lacking an incident, he's in perfect health and fitness so it's hard to think about putting him down. Anyway that's another story.

I've also had my own health challenges since about February. Nothing too serious just the reality of years of smoking taking hold and having an impact. I got an awful cold during a mid winter trip and it seems to have exasperated my COPD. So there are times when Buddy and I kind of compete for breathing challenges. I've gone through a couple of medication changes that I never deal with very well. On top of that, like any good consumer, I read the warnings on all of these medications. There's a thrill for you. By the time your through reading, you think you might better just lie down and call the ambulance.

So, I've probably given you much more information then you need or want at this point. Suffice it to say that I will not let Trumpitis or Trumpolio keep me down forever. No promises on frequency though. You just never know how much effort it's going to take to keep up with the latest shock of the day or how much head shaking will be necessary before I can get a thought out.




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gadfly welcomes comments and discussion. Please feel free. Comments will be pre-screened for relevance, etc. and may or may not be posted.