Sunday, March 13, 2016

Transitions, Elections and The History of Rock & Roll

I got word the other day about the death of an old friend and colleague. He was a youngster at 62, at least to me, 9 years his senior. He was also one of the good guys - never a bad word about anyone and always a smile and a twinkle in his eye. As always I was saddened, a bit confused and in wonder about his passing. Matters of life and death do seem to become a bit more intense as you age, at least for me. It's all part of a transition that we go through though, from our earliest years that dance around in memories to our current lives and status. Those memories help us in the transition but they also, sometimes, make it difficult. A paradox I suppose.

And then there's the present, staring us in the face. I'm tired and sick of debates, primaries, candidates, mock news conferences and pundits trying to interpret what I do or should think. It goes on and on. Both parties are reaping what they've sown. Obstructionism and non cooperation have led to people losing faith in government. I never thought I would see in America, the day when people would stand in rallies raising their right arms and hands, pledging to vote for someone as he knowingly mimics what many thought was the worst that the world had seen. Fascism seems to be alive and well. I have a backlog of writing about all of this but just shutter at publishing any more. It's tiring and depressing.

A funk that is usually shaken by the appearance of St. Patrick's Day on the calendar isn't shaken so easily this year. The call of spring and summer are not far off but I see more debates, more made up scandals, more shouting and blaming, yard signs, bumper stickers and on and on. Too much for far too long.

Then, through the magic of the internet comes a message from another friend. He shares a site, a video that helps to clear the mind. Something that helps to categorize some of those memories filed away - the days of learning, exploring, experimenting, dancing, bonding and just plain enjoying. I begin to remember each of those days well. I enjoy the noise and movement of life in the music that I hear. So now, I share it with you for as long as it's available. A click that may help take you through your own experiences, enjoyment and beliefs. Sit back and escape for a bit and be thankful for what this brings. It's 15 minutes of enjoying The History of Rock & Roll. Enjoy & Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gadfly welcomes comments and discussion. Please feel free. Comments will be pre-screened for relevance, etc. and may or may not be posted.