Thursday, November 29, 2018

Dorothy Day's Anniversary

Today ( Nov. 29, 2018) is the memorial of Dorothy Day's death in 1980. I am not an enthusiastic promoter of her canonization but I believe her values and many of her actions for social justice and peace and the poor are a beacon for people to contemplate and follow. Dorothy supported me and many others who were associated with the Catholic Worker over the years. We all learn from each other and I learned a great deal from Dorothy and others at the Catholic Worker. Anyway, here is a little clip for folks who may not have known of her.

Seeing the pictures of Dorothy below, sitting in vineyards in California in 1973, surrounded by California Highway Patrolmen, supporting farmworkers, reminds me of her strength and commitment. She carried her three legged portable stool due to her arthritis making it difficult for her to stand for long periods. I think I know how Dorothy would be responding to the issues we see today on our southern boarder.


                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gadfly welcomes comments and discussion. Please feel free. Comments will be pre-screened for relevance, etc. and may or may not be posted.