Friday, November 4, 2011

The Power of Music

Tonight I sat and enjoyed the Steve Martin narrated 'Give Me The Banjo' on PBS. A great historical perspective on the instrument and literally hundreds of artists. One of the segments was about Pete Seeger, how he got involved with the banjo, how he taught it to thousands of people and about some of his hard times. It reminded me of many things but most importantly it reminded me of the power of music - how it brings people together, how it tells a story. The segment also spoke of the time that Seeger and Woody Guthrie spent together.

It also reminded me of times many years ago when I played the guitar on the streets and in apartments and a few bars in NYC. Very few stages. I wasn't that good but as Seeger says, it was more about doing good then playing good. So my friends Paul Mann, Murphy 'Cajun' Dowouis and I would play together and entertain all of the other folks that we were hanging out with at the time - Catholic Workers, hobos, peace movement people, street people. The beer would be plentiful and the lyrics changed and grew depending on the situation. We sang and celebrated our time. We were bound together and the music gave us hope and more.

Over the years I've strayed from playing the guitar. I pick it up now and then but nothing serious ever comes of it. Partly I believe because Paul and Murph or buddies like them are missing. I'm committed to getting back into it though. Part of what I've done to compensate is to collect other instruments along the way. Maybe it's my way of trying to put together a band. So I have a banjo mandolin, a mandolin, a penny whistle, five (5) harmonicas, a couple of kazoos, my old Yamaha guitar, a washboard and an irish Bodhran drum and various rattles and percussion noise makers and rhythm keepers. Finally I have my voice - still able to carry a tune but remembering the lyrics becomes more and more tricky.

The point is though that music is powerful. I've seen it move people to tears as well as change the course of events. It is powerful stuff and should be respected, taught and passed on. I'm going to try to do my part. Great show by the way - 'Give Me The Banjo'.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gadfly welcomes comments and discussion. Please feel free. Comments will be pre-screened for relevance, etc. and may or may not be posted.