Monday, September 22, 2014

3 Month Check-Up - All Is Well

People who have followed this writer know that in early June I had surgery for diagnosed colon cancer. At the time of my diagnosis I decided I would share my experiences by writing about them, letting people know about the things that people diagnosed with cancer feel, fear and find out as they move along on that journey. I've posted a number of items that you can find here.

Today's post is about my 3 month check up with my surgeon that took place today, Sept. 22nd. But it isn't just about today. As with most other Dr. visits, there is a build up of sorts. A few weeks ago I went for a blood test specifically for a marker that helps the Dr. identify if there is anything going on relative to the cancer that he cut out in June. Also in July I had seen an oncologist and had a good report from him. But there is always apprehension when you get the latest tests and wait to see the Dr. to hear about the results.

In addition, the healing from my surgery has been slow (in my opinion). I still expierience odd pains at and around the incision. I also have done a couple of things that have stretched and/or strained the area. As recently as last week I tripped while stepping over the fence I have around my vegetable garden. The fall caused some ripping and stretching of some of my internal parts and new pain appeared. Also in August I lifted more weight then I should have and felt the results for a few weeks. So I've had some different discomfort and pain going on for awhile. Anyone who has had cancer will understand that pains appearing and disappearing always raise new fears and concerns. The fear is always there and most likely never goes away. This disease is so ornery and insidious.

In the end, my visit today went well. My blood work was fine. No signs of anything odd there. As for the pains, my Dr. spent good time with me explaining the reality of all of the nerves that have been affected by the surgery and getting me to recognize that any trauma to the area effects the ongoing healing. I'm not sure if he realizes how much relief he provided even though I thank him profusely every time he gives me good news. I drove home (about an hour) and crashed on the sofa. I'm sure stress or the relief from it had a lot to do with the nap that ensued.

So now I'm good for another 3 months, another blood test, etc. The cycle will continue and in between I'll probably feel an odd pain here or there but will move on and get things done like preparing for winter in upstate NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gadfly welcomes comments and discussion. Please feel free. Comments will be pre-screened for relevance, etc. and may or may not be posted.