Monday, August 15, 2016

Donald Trump & Joe McCarthy

I was 10 years old when Sen. Joe McCarthy opened his televised hearings with the goal of rooting out communism in our country. I remember watching the hearings intently. I remember asking my mother what this was all about and why everyone was being so terrible to each other? She didn't have a lot of answers but I knew she wasn't comfortable with what was going on.

As I think about it, this event probably had more to do with my future interest in politics than I knew. It also helped me develop what side I would be on in the future. What the country and I witnessed was bullying, insults and finger pointing. Pressure was put on people to name names, tell stories and provide information about friends and family members. There were questions about what books people read, what music they listened to, what parties they attended and who they associated with. Peoples lives were ruined. There was some outrage but there was also fear and sadly there were many people who went along with the whole process.

J. Edgar Hoover, the director of the FBI, was also watching. He watched very closely and learned as well as taught. Joe McCarthy provided Hoover with cover to 'protect' all of us.

Fast forward to 2016. Donald Trump is talking about 'extreme vetting', creating a commission to root out those among us who are in effect 'un-American', at least in his opinion. He is also talking about 'viscously' removing people from the country who don't meet his, Trump's, loyalty test.

I think Donald Trump is confused about his own country, its constitution and the majority of the people who make it up. I watch his face, his mouth, his expression as he repeats words like 'extreme vetting' and 'vicious actions' as he talks about other people, some immigrants and others, fellow citizens. I see hatred and bigotry as well as real anger in his face. Joe McCarthy had some of these same looks, especially when he thought he had the American people behind him. Finally though, decency won out. A word of caution - it could have gone the other way and in fact, people like Hoover took the message and the activity behind closed doors and into the dark. For those who didn't witness that part of history, be watchful. It's easy to slip back into those very dark places where all of our freedom is at risk. Sadly I fear there are 10 year olds today wondering what this is all about and why everyone is being so terrible to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gadfly welcomes comments and discussion. Please feel free. Comments will be pre-screened for relevance, etc. and may or may not be posted.