Monday, April 30, 2018

A Bird In Flight

Sometimes we learn about nature or how lucky we are by chance. Living on Seneca Lake in upstate New York provides me with that chance on a pretty regular basis. I have the opportunity to gaze out my windows or off of my deck to watch nature in many forms. I have grown to love watching birds in flight. The flight can be short and brief, a mere jump and flap from one branch to another, or a beautiful soar on thermals above the water and the trees on shore. I get to see the migrations in the spring and the fall - the geese, the loons and the raptors to name a few. Sparrows and eagles move through or make their home here.

The other day, about a week ago, I caught the glimpse of a huge bird soaring along Seneca's shores in the left corner of my eye. I looked quickly as this beautiful specimen moved through the air to the north. Some things didn't compute. I had never seen a bird so large and the color was a mix of white, gold and black from underneath. Soon he or she was out of sight and I thought perhaps this was the American Bald Eagle that I know is here eluding my eyes. I had recently seen two Golden Eagles battling in the sky only yards from my deck over a fish that one had snatched from the water. They both twirled in the sky with wings outstretched, one finally victorious.

Yesterday the mystery of the large soaring bird was solved I believe. John Van Niel, an environmental professor, who writes columns for the Finger Lakes Times, had an article about an American white pelican who has recently ended up at the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge just northeast of Seneca Lake.


Above is a photo Van Nile took of the visitor who I'm pretty sure I saw making his way to the refuge, a bit lost according to the author. The American white pelican has a wing span of up to nine feet and this certainly matches what I saw as this fellow traveled up the lake. Here is Van Niel's full article: SPEAKING OF NATURE - Pelican Makes Rare Stop.

Again, birds in flight are truly amazing, reminding us of our own travels or those of loved ones who we've traveled with over the years. So take some time to look up or look out and see these amazing creatures, finding the wind and each other just as we do.




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gadfly welcomes comments and discussion. Please feel free. Comments will be pre-screened for relevance, etc. and may or may not be posted.