Saturday, September 11, 2021

Remembering 9/11

Language can sometimes trick us or many times help us to learn about our communication with each other. To me there is a subtle difference between the often stated 'never forget' and the words I'd rather use 'always remember'. Some how 'never forget' comes out a bit more aggressive, perhaps threatening. I get the sense that those words are more for our enemies, letting them know that no matter what, retaliation is always possible, always on our mind. After 20 years and the 800,000 plus lives added to the 2996 who died on 9/11, I don't find any of that very useful.

Remembering though brings a different sense to me. One obviously of memories. Memories of all of those who died and of the heroes who showed up or pulled together or helped to unify a nation in shock. Memories of children and adults who needed hugs and words of comfort. Memories of helplessness that many of us felt. Memories it seems to me are always useful and hopeful and can be a part of reconciliation, something we always seem to need.

All of this is why I choose to use the term 'always remember'. Silly perhaps but my way of trying to find a different response to terror, heroes, killing, retaliation and continuous wars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gadfly welcomes comments and discussion. Please feel free. Comments will be pre-screened for relevance, etc. and may or may not be posted.