Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Importance of Selma the Movie

Let me start off by saying that I haven't seen Selma yet. I've seen some pretty extensive clips and listened to a number of in depth interviews with the director and a number of the actors. I believe I have a pretty good sense of the story. I do plan on seeing the movie as quickly as I have access.

Selma, the movie, is important for many reasons. First it was directed by a black woman, Ava DuVernay. That in itself is significant. But there's a lot more. History, as most people know, is really important. Especially when our children and grandchildren have fleeting memories of polaroid cameras, projectors, turntables and vinyl records. History is also important when we review and understand what is happening in cities across the US in response to policing in our communities and the perception or reality about how black people and people of color are treated by police.

In relation to the movie Selma, there are arguments and discussions going on about President Lyndon Johnson's role in encouraging and supporting the demonstrations in Selma in 1965. Revisionist history is always interesting. There is probably a kernel of truth at least to Johnson's understanding of the importance of the Selma confrontations, but I really doubt his manipulation of the events as some are projecting. No, the movie has its importance in some other critical areas rather then conjecture about Lyndon Johnson.

First, it is important for people to see and really understand what the voting rights struggle was truly about. For people to see Oprah Winfrey's character questioned and tested as she tried to register to vote is a critical piece of history that no one should forget as we travel down a new road to making voter registration more difficult in many states. This was the reality in 1965.

There is also the struggle between established civil rights leaders and younger more radicalized movement leaders. These same struggles go on today.

The other important item in the movie is the violence that was brought on people who were protesting these injustices. Sometimes it's easy to talk about or even easy to dismiss but seeing the violence played out, seeing people in authority committing these acts is important for movie goers to witness. The fear and the courage of protesters and movement leaders is important to watch, review and expierience.

Many times when I speak to groups about my own experiences in Selma in 1965, there are questions about the fear. Always the question "were you afraid?". The answer is always the same. I was very afraid. Scared to death as a matter of fact. I saw hatred I had never seen before and I saw violence just waiting to be thrust on me and others. The only thing that got me through those experiences was the solidarity with others who were being spat upon, arrested and beaten. That and a belief that we could protect each other. Outsiders like me, a white kid from the North, holding hands and hugging young, local blacks who had lived with the fear everyday of their lives. Naive? Probably but I made it.

So Selma, the movie, is important to see, feel and understand. Put it in context, but also understand that it's way too easy for us to get there again.

Here is a recent article that points to Selma's relevance - Why 'Selma' Is The Most Relevant Picture of The Year

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gadfly welcomes comments and discussion. Please feel free. Comments will be pre-screened for relevance, etc. and may or may not be posted.