Monday, January 12, 2015

Take Time To See Selma

I did just that this past weekend. I wasn't sure how I was going to react or view the movie. I went in with some trepidation. As some people know, I participated in the actual demonstrations and a number of the march attempts back in 1965 so I was going to this movie with some memories and notions of my own. In addition, I've been following some of the debate and conversation about Lyndon Johnson's role in supporting and promoting the march in Selma. I was also a little bit concerned about reliving some of the things I saw and experienced in Selma 50 years ago.

Here's some of my take. First, I think it's a great movie and I think everyone should see it. To me the Johnson controversy is way over blown and really is a distraction and disservice to everyone. The movie isn't about Johnson or his legacy. Maybe that's the reason some of his supporters are so upset. Perhaps they think every movie, every documentary or every historical drama has to have a white hero. Really, the discussion isn't that important in the scheme of things. The movie also isn't about Martin Luther King, Jr. Obviously he plays a significant role but it's not his story. It's the story of Selma, its people and their place in history.

There are historical issues that I saw in the movie but they aren't really important enough to make a big deal out of. They're the things that always happen when you're trying to compress days, weeks, months and years of struggle into a few hours. Sequences of events, character involvement, emphasis - all of these things come into play when telling a story that involves so many people and so many issues. Having said that, here are a couple of things that stood out to me that I missed or thought maybe would add something to the story. First, the music - the singing and chanting were such an important part of at least what I saw in Selma. The singing and chanting, the music of the movement brought people together and wrapped people in a cloak of togetherness and strength.  There were also many more attempts at marches and demonstrations between the turn around march, the court hearing and the final march to Montgomery. That atmosphere of demonstrators being held behind and between barriers in front of Brown Chapel was an important part of the story from my own expierience.

The story and characters in Selma though are real. The core of the story is about the reality of the hatred and violence that occurred in this country and the strength and unity of the people who stood up to it. The story is also about a movement, a political process, tactics and a belief in nonviolence. There's a lot more that the story is about and that's why people really need to see it. It's the story of strong black women. It's the story of Jimmie Lee Jackson and his murder. It's the story of the conflict between violent and nonviolent responses to horrific hatred and brutality. It's about the magnificent strength of local black citizens standing up to abusive authority. It's about good hearted white folks from all over the country who would come and yes, who would eventually go.

But it's also contemporary. The story of Selma should help put some things in perspective. It should help people understand Ferguson, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin. It should really make people think hard about the Voting Rights Act and voter id requirements that are being proposed, enacted and tested in the courts.

So go see the movie. Think about these things and understand that these were and are very real struggles. Also, if your interested, my recounting of my personal experiences in Selma can be found Here with a note at the beginning of Part 1 identifying where other parts of the series can be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gadfly welcomes comments and discussion. Please feel free. Comments will be pre-screened for relevance, etc. and may or may not be posted.