Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Reconnecting With An Old Friend

I wrote recently about the importance of reconnecting. Of making sure that certain relationships not be left to sit without a real effort to find old friends and acquaintances. Those feelings and thoughts are intensified when you have the need to recognize your own mortality. The reality is though, that there is usually a tremendous value to reconnecting. I've been doing some of that lately and some of it has come from the other direction, people reconnecting with me. It really is a wonderful expierience.

This past weekend I went to visit a friend, mentor, supporter and icon. The drive was long but beautiful for someone who has been cooped up for a number of weeks.

A number of months ago I had seen an article on my friend, Judy Lerner, Changing The World At 92. A link to the article is here. Please take the time to read it and learn about Judy and the important role she played and still plays relative to peace, justice, reconcilliation and Women's rights. You will also learn some of her message about staying focused and involved.

I knew Judy in the 60's during my involvement with the Catholic Worker, as well as the anti war and the civil rights movements. Judy and her husband Irving, were wonderful friends and supporters and in many ways protectors. Over the years we lost touch. I tried many times to find Judy and wasn't successful until recently. I had seen the article, found an address and mailed her a letter not knowing if this was my Judy at the address I had found. Within a day or two I got a short but excited email letting me know that we had in fact reconnected and yes, we needed to get together. All of this was before my cancer diagnosis and surgery.

Judy had told me that her son, Martin, had a gallery and restaurant in the small Catskill village of Roxbury - The Martin Lerner Gallery & Queens Mountain Cafe. A great place by the way for food, drink, art and conversation.

Judy had sent me a note that she would be in Roxbury through Sunday on the 4th of July weekend. I got back and made her aware of my recent health issues but said I would try to get there. On Saturday morning we made the trek and it was a long trip but seeing Judy after all these years was well worth it. We talked, laughed and reminisced about other old friends and events.

Judy will soon be 93. She was a contemporary, and college friend of Bella Abzug. She was one of the founders of Women's Strike For Peace. She was a labor leader at the school where she worked for many years teaching kids with special needs. She raised hell along the way in addition to her three kids. She protested, was arrested and chained herself to fences. What I always loved about Judy was that she brought diverse people together in her house for drinks, food and intense conversation. Many evenings would end in song, someone strumming a guitar while everyone sang old, new and important songs about the work of justice and peace.

She continues on today, going to the United Nations during the week and getting involved with the international issues surrounding women's rights, disability rights and so many other issues. Judy continues to bring diverse people together and there's probably some singing along the way. We said our goodbyes on Saturday but committed to not lose touch again and we plan on getting together again and again.

Like I said, read the article - Changing The World At 92 - you'll love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gadfly welcomes comments and discussion. Please feel free. Comments will be pre-screened for relevance, etc. and may or may not be posted.